Join us as we support Singapore’s vision of building a Smart Nation - a nation of possibilities empowered through info-communications technology and related engineering.
The Data Science & Artificial Intelligence Division (DSAID) works with public sector agencies in using data science and AI to improve policy outcomes, service delivery and operational efficiency. We extract data-driven insights and build intelligent platforms to add value to the work of our partner agencies. We also help public sector agencies transform by partnering them in building data science expertise, formulating data strategies and setting up the necessary data infrastructure.
How do we work:
Outcome Driven - Our projects are not academic exercises. We are driven by the “so what” and make sure that our findings and models can be translated into tangible impact.
Start Small and Move Fast - We build things quickly. If it works, good — how can we scale this up further? If not, what went wrong and what can we do better next time?
Ownership - You are not just here to write code, but also to figure out what we should be building and how we should build it.
Continuous Learning - Working on new ideas often means not fully understanding what you are working on. Taking time to learn new architectures, frameworks, technologies, and even languages are not just encouraged but essential.
We are in this Together - We draw from the deep domain knowledge of our partners and best practices from our community of experts.
Read more about us from the team's blog https: //medium.com/dsaid-govtech
We are seeking a Senior Data Engineer to join our Quantitative Strategy team, as an Agency Data Team Lead (FDT - Forward Deployed Team)
As an Agency Data Team Lead, you will set up and lead a data science team in a government agency identified as a strategic partner for DSAID, to drive the growth of data science capabilities at the partner agency while operating in close alignment to DSAID’s approach and philosophy.
You will guide your team to work closely with the multiple business stakeholders at the partner agency to architect, design, and build data infrastructure to power insights needed for data-driven decision making and service delivery at the partner agency. Where necessary, you will also help your team overcome project blockers, by working with the partner agency’s IT teams on the setup of relevant tools, systems, and infrastructures needed for project development and deployment.
This role requires an individual with strong stakeholder management, problem solving, project management, and communication skills, as it involves identifying and building relationships with strategic partners in the agency in order to drive impact at scale. You will also be reporting to multiple stakeholders, both at GovTech and the partner agency. To ensure that the team operates in close alignment with DSAID’s approach and philosophy, you and your team will meet up regularly with the central DSAID team and other agency data science teams, to exchange learning points and best practices across agencies.
What you will be working on:
- Manage a team of 2-3 data scientists and/or data engineers deployed to the partner agency, to build next-generation data infrastructure and galvanise digitalisation at said partner agency.
- Organise and guide your team to execute the pipeline of projects. This will involve overseeing your team's work in the following areas:
- Design and build resilient and efficient data pipelines for both batch and real-time streaming data;
- Architect and design data infrastructure on cloud, using industry standard Infrastructure-as-Code tools;
- Build software frameworks to solve data problems at scale;
- Collaborate with product managers, software engineers, data analysts, and data scientists to build scalable and data-driven platforms and tools.
- Work with partner agency's Chief Data Officer (CDO)’s and Chief Information Officer (CIO)’s Offices to improve the agency’s data management and analytics infrastructure, and to grow data science capabilities within the agency’s workforce.
- Support the professional growth and development of data scientists and data engineers in your team and forge a positive team culture to ensure staff retention.
What we are looking for:
- A Bachelor’s Degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Information Technology, or related disciplines. Advanced degrees are preferred. Relevant training and certifications (e.g., Coursera) may also be considered.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience, in data engineering and/or the public sector, preferably with experience managing a data science team.
- Well-versed in government systems and government's policies relating to data governance, data management, data infrastructure, and data security.
- Have strong analytical, conceptualisation, and problem-solving skills. Able to take broad, strategic perspectives, and when necessary, drill deep to understand business needs and challenges.
- Understand key concepts, broad methodologies, and common use cases in data science.
- Deep understanding of key concepts in data engineering, e.g., system design, data structure and algorithms, data modelling, data access, and data storage.
- Training and relevant experience in four or more of the following areas:
- Both SQL and NoSQL databases, including performance tuning and troubleshooting;
- Write efficient SQL;
- Implement batch and streaming data pipelines;
- Cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure, and Google Cloud;
- Data engineering tools and frameworks such as Airflow, Kafka, Hadoop, Spark, Beam, Flink, Kubernetes;
- DevOps tools such as Docker, Git, Terraform;
- LDAP, OAuth, API gateways.
- Demonstrable experience in project management of technical initiatives.
- Have excellent oral and written communication skills, along with the ability to pitch ideas and influence stakeholders at all levels on the adoption of analytics. Able to present technical concepts and results of technical analyses to non-technical audience effectively.
- Adaptable to dynamic operating contexts and able to work with multiple stakeholders across different teams.
- Strong people manager who can inspire, motivate, and grow the team and has strong organisation skills. Effective in setting and managing individual and team KPIs.
- Have passion for improving public service using analytics and data.
- Experience in agile project management
- Understand processes in digital transformation
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company as we believe that diversity is meaningful to innovation. Our employee benefits are based on a total rewards approach, offering a holistic and market-competitive suite of perks. This includes generous leave benefits to meet your work-life needs. We trust that you will get the job done wherever you are, and whatever works best for you – so work from home or take a break to exercise if you need to*. We also believe it’s important for you to keep honing your craft in the constantly-evolving tech landscape, so we provide and support a plethora of in-house and external learning and development opportunities all year round.
- Subject to the nature of your job role that might require you to be onsite during fixed hours